The department's Strategic Plan 2017–21 ( 4.5 MB) sets out the department's vision and priorities over the next four years with a focus on liveability, sustainability and prosperity across Queensland.
The plan highlights our vision for cities, towns and communities across the state that are great places to live, work and play, and outlines the strategies though which the department will drive and promote:
- economic, social and environmental benefits for Queenslanders
- resilient, strong and sustainable rural and remote communities
- greater liveability and connectedness in coastal and hinterland communities
- prosperous and vibrant cities and urban places
- a high-performing, innovative and diverse workforce delivering value-for-money service and outcomes.
Drive the creation of great places to live, work and play for current and future Queenslanders.
Deliver integrated and future-shaping advice and solutions for Queensland communities through our leading expertise and quality partnerships.
Economic, social and environmental benefits for Queenslanders
- Establish and maintain a sound legislative and regulatory framework across the portfolio.
- Work with local governments to help them deliver positive outcomes for their communities.
- Optimise the benefits of the streamlined planning framework to support investment, jobs, community participation and the environment.
- Drive coordination and integration of infrastructure investments.
- Attract investment to development projects, and facilitate development of greenfield and industrial sites in growth areas.
- Identify and respond to opportunities and challenges at a whole of state level.
- Overall stakeholder satisfaction with services and advice.
- Economic, social and environmental benefits realised as a result of the department's work.
Resilient, strong and sustainable rural and remote communities
- Build the capacity and capability of rural and remote local governments to shape resilient, strong and sustainable communities.
- Design and deliver streamlined regulatory solutions and resources for Indigenous local governments.
- Coordinate strategic infrastructure corridor plans focused on long-term transport needs.
- Partner with local governments to identify and deliver economic and community infrastructure projects and initiatives.
- Use the planning framework to facilitate investment in renewable energy.
- Financial sustainability audit results in rural and remote local governments.
- Level of satisfaction with services, capacity building programs and resources provided to rural and remote local governments.
Greater liveability and connectedness in coastal and hinterland communities
- Connect and partner with local governments in coastal and hinterland regions to support service delivery and strong governance.
- Coordinate strategic infrastructure corridor plans focused on long-term transport needs along the Queensland coast.
- Deliver long-term strategic planning solutions and advice.
- Demonstrate innovation in planning, building and infrastructure projects to improve housing diversity and choice.
- Planning solutions for coastal and hinterland communities developed and implemented.
- Level of satisfaction with services, capacity building programs and resources provided to coastal and hinterland communities.
Prosperous and vibrant cities and urban places
- Partner with stakeholders to foster and guide balanced growth and long-term planning solutions.
- Lead development of a Cities Policy that fosters a best practice and cohesive approach to urban development.
- Develop and implement a Better Urban Design Agenda for Queensland.
- Integrate land use, transport and economic plans in cities and urban places.
- Oversee a program of coordinated infrastructure in SEQ, including infrastructure corridor plans that focus on long-term transport needs.
- Facilitate development of under-utilised urban sites.
- Development of under-utilised land or sites.
- SEQ Regional Plan in place and operating effectively.
- Effectiveness or benefits of the Cities Policy.
A high-performing, innovative and diverse workforce delivering value-for-money services and outcomes
- Work collaboratively with each other and with our stakeholders and partners to build productive relationships to deliver services and broker solutions.
- Use resources and systems efficiently and effectively minimising risk and delivering value-for-money.
- Create an inclusive, diverse, healthy and safe work environment.
- Enable staff to meet challenges, to be agile, innovative and to take initiative.
- Employee opinion survey results.
- Workforce statistics.
Our strategy addresses the Queensland Government’s Objectives for the Community through a commitment to:
- Leveraging public sector investment and unlocking private sector investment to grow jobs, boost economic growth and support environmental sustainability.
- A contemporary planning and development assessment system that supports efficient use of land, connects communities and protects natural areas.
- Infrastructure policy, planning and prioritisation that sets the strategic direction, supports economic growth and fosters innovation.
- Effective and autonomous local governments delivering good governance and providing a responsive range of services to Queensland communities.
The department’s opportunities and challenges are:
- Engaging stakeholders and building productive relationships.
- Supporting innovation in policy and regulatory frameworks.
- Developing organisational capacity and capability.
- Managing strategic, business and operational risks.
- Operating in an environment with zero tolerance for fraud and corruption.