Our story, our future (PDF, 1.9 MB) is the Queensland Government’s multicultural policy promoting an inclusive, harmonious and united community for Queensland.
The policy focuses on three priorities for culturally diverse communities and Queensland as a whole:
- achieving culturally responsive government
- supporting inclusive, harmonious and united communities
- improving economic opportunities.
It is being implemented through a three year Queensland Multicultural Action Plan 2016–17 to 2018–19 (PDF, 1.7 MB).
The department has responsibility for reporting progress on three actions in the action plan:
- Establish a panel of training providers to better support the cultural capability of organisations.
- Deliver on the Public Service Commission 2022 foundation non-English speaking background diversity targets for the Queensland public sector.
- Provide training to address unconscious bias and other barriers in recruitment and selection.
- Participate in migrant work experience programs, such as the Work and Welcome program.
- Actively support improved outcomes for refugees and people seeking asylum by working with Government and non-Government partners to improve settlement outcomes.
- Support opportunities through multicultural grants funding, which foster stronger connections between migrant and refugee communities and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- Partner with Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships to increase recognition and respect across culturally diverse communities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and culture, build Queensland’s story of inclusion and ensure our communities are connected and resilient.
- Deliver the Multicultural Queensland Ambassador Program to engage businesses, organisations and Local Governments on practical ways to adopt and implement the Multicultural Queensland Charter.
- Promote and celebrate Queensland’s multicultural identity and increase awareness of the benefits of multiculturalism through the Celebrating Multicultural Queensland grants program.
- Support social connectedness and foster intercultural activities through our investment in the Community Action for a Multicultural Society program and projects.
The department’s annual report (PDF, 189 KB) outlines activities undertaken and actions delivered for the 2017–2018 period.